What Is Mantra Meditation? Benefits, How to Try It?
Meditation is the practice of achieving mental clarity and stability. There are so many different types of meditation, none of which are right or wrong. The best way to have a successful meditation journey is by choosing the type of meditative practice that works for you.
If you, like many other individuals, struggle to quiet your mind or focus on a single thought during meditation, then mantra meditation may be the right practice for you. In involves becoming consciously fixated on a phrase or word, which in turn helps you quiet your racing thoughts and focus on the present moment.
What is Mantra Meditation?
A mantra is a word or phrase that is repeated during a meditation session. It can be spoken, chanted, whispered, or repeated in the mind. It is the process of quieting and focusing the mind using a sound, word or phrase recited either aloud or silently.
People practice mantra meditation techniques for many reasons, such as spiritual growth, concentration, or relaxation.
The distinctive point of mantra meditative techniques is that it not only helps to quiet and stabilize the mind, as is usual with most meditation retreats and practices, but it also develops positive thought patterns, depending on the mantra that you choose to repeat.
Benefits of Mantra Meditation in Dubai
Like all meditative practices, mantra meditation is a wonderful way to develop a heightened sense of self-awareness and mindfulness. This allows you to relax, de-stress, and improve your overall wellbeing.
However, mantra meditative techniques also present their own, unique benefits. These include the following:
1. Greater Focus
Many people struggle to quiet their mind during meditation. With mantra meditation, you focus on repeating a word or phrase, which keeps your mind active and in the present moment. So, it becomes easier to focus.
2. Positive Reinforcement
When you repeat a phrase or affirmation yourself repeatedly, such as “joy” or “peace”, or “I am loved”, it becomes internalized. This acts as a positive reinforcement that improves your feelings of peace and self-worth.
3. Increased Happiness and Wellbeing
Meditation is a powerful practice for reducing stress and anxiety. When combined with a set of positive affirmations, or mantras, it can go a great length in boosting your overall sense of happiness and wellbeing. Many people report a great sense of peace and relief after completing their mantra meditation retreats.
How to Practice Mantra Meditation
There are many ways to practice mantra meditative techniques. Experimenting with different methods can help you find the most comfortable session for you. The first step involves choosing a mantra to repeat throughout your session.
· How to Choose Your Mantra
There are so many different mantras that you can choose, they can be spiritual or reaffirming. Many people prefer Sanskrit words or hums that have spiritual importance, but you can choose any word of phrase that resonated with you. A meditation center in Dubai can help you find and choose the best mantras for yourself.
Once you have chosen a mantra, then you can begin your meditative session. Here is a simple beginner mantra meditation session that you can try:
· Steps for Basic Mantra Meditation Session
- Find a comfortable and quiet environment. Sit down or lay down in a comfortable manner
- Take deep breaths. Allow yourself to relax and observe the feeling of fresh oxygen filling your lungs
- Start chanting. As you continue to breathe, begin to repeat your mantra. You can say it in your mind, whisper, sing, or say it loudly – do it however you feel comfortable
- Fall into a rhythm. Eventually, your chants and breaths will fall into sync, creating a soothing rhythm. Allow this rhythm to guide you as you continue to chant.
- Redirect wandering thoughts. If at any point you feel your mind begin to wander, gently bring yourself back to the present. Focus on your breath, the mantra, or your surroundings to guide yourself back.
- Continue for a few minutes. Allow yourself to continue the meditation for as long as you feel comfortable. 3-5 minutes is a great place to start, but you can go for longer as you become more used to the practice.
After the time is up, or once you begin to lose concentration, then you can end the session. Do not get up abruptly but allow yourself a few minutes to recollect yourself and observe how you feel.
The Best Meditation Retreats in Dubai
Hub of Consciousness is a leading meditation center in Dubai. We understand that starting your meditation journey on your own can be intimidating. Which is why we invite all newcomers to join our beginner’s meditation retreats in Dubai. Our specialist practitioners will guide you on the best meditative techniques, including mantra meditation, to help you start your spiritual healing journey.